Plumbing mishaps are often brought on by rainy days, especially if your property has a basement or crawl area. Your home’s perimeter drain can allow rain or natural groundwater to enter. When a pit in your basement fills with water because there is nowhere else for it to go, flooding will start. The solution to this is a sump pump.
Sump pumps are used to remove the water from the water basins found mostly in the basement of a house. They are used to remove moisture when the water table is above a home’s foundation and in situations when basement flooding is a recurrent occurrence. Sump pumps transfer water away from a residence to a location where it no longer poses a problem, such as a public storm drain or a dry well.
Sump pumps should be considered for your building if your basement is frequently flooded, if you live somewhere that receives a lot of rain (or snow), or if you want to guard your home against future water damage. If you live in Houston, You can get your sump pump installation done by trusted specialist at Texas Raindrop.
How to Install a Sump Pump System
1. Choose a location, then set up the site: Find the lowest place in your basement, which is typically where you first detect moisture build-up, it should also be far away from electrical sources. After choosing a location, you should create a hole that is both big and deep enough to fit the sump pump, it should be two feet wide and two feet deep. You should check and make sure the top edge is flush with the floor.
2. Remove obstructions and place the sump pump in the hole: The most efficient sump pumps frequently have perforated openings that let water enter from the sides and below. To prevent the basin from being clogged by sludge and silt, it is recommended to wrap a layer of filter cloth around its exterior. After inserting the sump pump, backfill the surrounding area with the earth you dug up earlier. As you insert the sump pump, make sure it is levelled and centred.
3. Set up the liner: To stop water from soaking into the soil around the hole, surround it with plastic. Ensure that the liner is levelled and positioned correctly.
4. Installation of the discharge pipe: The discharge pipe should be connected to the pump and directed outside of your house. In order to direct water away from your foundation, the pipe must be securely fastened and sloped downward.
5. Connect to power: The electrical cord for the pump should be plugged into a GFCI outlet.
6. Assess the sump pump system: To check how well the pump works, fill the sump pit with water. Watch how the pump is performing and make any necessary changes.
It’s crucial to keep in mind that this is only a general guide and that the specifics of installing a sump pump can vary based on the type of pump and the demands of your home. It is preferable you speak with an expert if you are uncertain about the installation process. You can also hire the services of sump pump installation specialists in Houston.
How to Maintain a Sump Pump System
You should note that sump pumps must be maintained. We suggest that a qualified engineer conduct an annual inspection and maintenance on the equipment. Pumps that run frequently due to a rising water table, water drainage, or environmental factors should be examined more frequently. Sump pumps are mechanical devices that, if neglected, can malfunction thereby leading to the flooding of your basement and necessitating costly repairs.
For repairs on your sump pump, it is not advisable to turn it into a DIY project, you should call a professional for any major repair on your sump pump. You can contact sump pump repair in Houston for all your repair needs.
It is important that your sump pump and other drainage systems are properly installed and repaired when faulty. You should know that no other brand can assist in your drainage needs like Texas Raindrop can, our specialists have seen what Texas weather could do to people’s homes and have helped numerous clients in properly safeguarding their property.
We specialise in French drainage, sump pump, drain cleanouts, and other services. We are just a call away from giving your property that safe and effective solution it deserves. Call us now!