Working on a new device is always taxing. You have not figured out yet multiple things in the beginnings, which can lead to many confusions. If you are new to using Chromebooks, then it can be a bit difficult to find the MAC address of your Chromebook. MAC addresses are often required to connect to a Wi-Fi connection. Apart from that, there are many other reasons why it is important to know the MAC address of your Chromebook. This blog will take you through the Steps to Find The MAC Address On a Chromebook.
Finding The MAC Address On a Chromebook
Before diving into the whole process of finding the MAC addresses on Chromebooks, let us look at what MAC addresses are.
MAC address stands for media access control. A unique ID is assigned to each device from the network interface card (NIC). MAC addresses are also known as the hardware address. Each company that manufactures the device assigns it an exclusive sequence of binary numbers. This sequence helps other devices communicate with each other when they are working in the same network. MAC addresses play a vital role in the world of networking and Internet.
In latest devices, there are two separate MAC addresses for the Wi-Fi and the Ethernet connection. Make sure to provide each one to the Network administrator to connect to the Internet
Steps to Find The MAC Address on Chromebooks
Chromebook MAC address is actually quite simple to find. There are several different ways to accomplish this task. Each one is described below:
Through Welcome Screen:
You can easily find the MAC address of your Chromebook from the Desktop of your device. Here is how:
- Open the Desktop screen of your Chromebook.
- In the bottom right corner, click on the time.
- An option to open the Wi-Fi network will appear. Select it.
- Select the option of Network from the top side of the box that opens up.
- On the bottom right side of the box, your MAC address is visible. You can copy paste it and save it in your notes for future references.
Through System Settings:
Another easy way to find the MAC address is through the System Settings of your Chromebook. Here is how:
- From your desktop, open the Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://system in the address bar at the top.
- This will load the About System page.
- Scroll down to iconfig. Select the option Expand to enhance the details.
- Find the wlan0 section.
- Next to the section of ether, you will see the MAC address mentioned distinctly. This will give you the MAC address of your Wi-Fi connection.
- If you want to know the MAC address for Ethernet connection, then look under the section of eth0.
- The MAC address is mentioned distinctly in the section.
The word MAC address in itself sounds like a complicated term. But, in all honesty, it is quite easy to understand. Similarly, to find the MAC addresses on a Chromebook is also very easy, provided that you follow all the right steps. This blog discusses each one of the step in detail to provide maximum insight.
Q1. Is it Safe to Give My MAC Address?
Q2. Is a MAC Address Permanent?