In such scenarios, many people are unable to find the IP Address on their Chromebooks. If you are amongst one of those people looking for answers, read this blog to get all your issues resolved and learn all to Find the IP Address on a Chromebook. Chromebooks are some of the best devices to exist in the world of technology. But, since they are slightly different from the electronic gadgets that we are used to, working with them can be a bit difficult, especially in the beginning. Even though IP addresses are not used on a regular day to day basis, sometimes there are rare occasions on which they are required for usage.
How to Find the IP Address on a Chromebook:
Before we dive into the depths of finding the IP address on a Chromebook, let us look at what an IP address is and why it is important.
Definition of IP Address
An IP address is a complex combination of numbers that is assigned to every device once it has been connected to an Internet network. Each combination is provided on the basis of Internet Protocols named IPV4 or IPV6.
Initially, each combination was a 64-bit numeric following IPV4 protocols. These protocols quickly became too little because the number of devices connecting to the Internet exceeded the 64-bit capacity. IPV6 on the other hand assigns 128-bit numbers to the devices. This is why it is able to include a larger number of devices on the internet.
Benefits of IP Address
IP addresses are like keys to a house; they help you get on the network safely. Without a proper IP address, there is no way that you can interact freely over the Internet. Without the structure of IP addresses, the world of the Internet will convert into a complete wreck and things will quickly fall apart. This is why IP addresses are the most basic yet important component of an Internet connection.
Steps to Find the IP Addresses
Chromebook allows its users to access the IP addresses of their devices through several different methods. Described below are a few of them.
Finding IP Address on Chromebook from the Browser
- You can easily find the IP Address on Chromebook from your browser. Here is how:
- Open the Chromebook browser.
- In the URL section, type chrome://system.
- You will be taken to a page that is filled with system’s information.
- Look for iconfig tab as you scroll down the page. Alternatively, press ctrl + F to open the search option. Type iconfig and then press enter. It will directly take you to that particular section.
- Click on the tab and expand it. You will see even more information and data about various things. Do not get confused.
- Look for the wLan0 section or once again utilize the services of the Search (Ctrl+F) shortcut.
- Under the wLan0 heading, you will see the inet and inet6 subheadings. The numeric combination next to these words is the IP address for your device.
- In case you are using an Ethernet connection, the IP address for your device will be the numeric combination next to the heading of Ethernet.
Finding IP Address on Chromebook from Settings Window
This is a very simple method to find the IP address. Just follow the steps and you will accomplish your task within no time.
- Click on the time on the bottom-right corner of your Desktop. A small square window will pop up.
- On the top right corner of this window, click on the widget that has the settings sign.
- The Settings window will open up. On the top left side of this window (the menu bar), click on the Network option.
- On the top left side of the window, you will see the Wi-Fi widget (for this method to work Wi-Fi needs to be turned on and you have to be connected to the Internet).
- Click on the name of the Wi-Fi network that you are connected to. You will now see a Configurations window.
- There are different kinds of information available in this window. As you will scroll down, you will see a heading of IP Address mentioned distinctly.
- The numeric combination beneath the heading is the IP Address of your Chromebook.
The two methods discussed above are the easiest and most straightforward ways that serve as an answer when finding an IP address on a Chromebook. These steps are so simple that if you perform them a few times, you can learn it by heart and then use them any time you need to.
Q1. What happens if I share my IP Address?
Q2. Can two devices have the same IP Address?