We live in incredible times. All the information available in the world is available to everyone on a single button press. It is visible on computer screens for people to read and extract the desired information that they need. Some of these screens are small and only work as monitors. On the other hand, some screens are huge and cater to several different people at once.
However, what happens when there is a room full of people in a classroom? Or, a huge crowd at a musical concert. Oftentimes, in such scenarios, the screens that we use in our everyday life, no matter how big or small are not enough to be visible for even those people who are standing at the back of a large gathering. Here is where a projector screen comes into play.
Projector screens are always operated through a projector. A projector helps in converting the source file to make it visible on the huge projector screen. The source of a projector can be a USB, a CPU, or even a laptop device such as Chromebook. These days, projectors are extremely advanced. They can be connected to mobile phones as well.
If you are a new Chromebook user, then there is a chance that you are not aware of how to connect a Chromebook device to a projector. In this article, that is exactly what we are going to discuss. This guide will provide you every step to follow in order to accomplish the task without any difficulty.
How to Connect a Chromebook to a Projector?
Before we dive into the whole process of connecting a Chromebook to a projector, let us take a look at what projectors are and what their purpose is in the world of technology.
What is a projector?
A projector is a device that has a very particular arrangement of lens in it that allows the system to project different images, slides, or complete videos on a screen. It is such a device that takes an input from any available source and creates an output in the form of images or video on a big screen.
One of the best things about a projector is that it does not necessarily require an additional screen or output place to create and display the content it has. Instead, the user of a projector could project all the data on a wall. It is important to remember that the wall must be light colored and should not have any pattern to it. This helps improve the quality of the image or video that is being shown through the projector.
Most organizations such as offices and schools use projectors on a regular basis. They set up the projectors in such a way that the projectors stay fixed in one place and create a projection on the screen or the wall in front. These days’ projectors are small and are very easy to carry around. They are lightweight and portable. In some situations, people used projectors in outdoor settings as well. These projectors have a rear-end setting. This means that instead of the front of the lens, the projections are created through the rear-end lenses. They are used in the outdoor setup because of the fact that it provides a better contrast. Moreover, they work better in an open environment, during the day, and in crowds. You will often see such type of projectors being used at daytime concerts or open-air daytime religious events.
Input Options for Projectors
A projector has multiple sources of input. This means that you can insert multiple devices at the same time. The sources of input can be USB, HDMI, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. The option to connect with all these inputs allows projectors to connect with pretty much every device and gadget that currently exists on the planet. From mobile phones to CPUs, you can connect a project and project the screen of any device that you would like.
Fact: The cost of projectors has significantly reduced due to the introduction of LED and LCD bulbs inside them. In previous times, the bulbs were specific projector bulbs that were hard to find and expensive to create. However, after the technology advanced and an ordinary bulb is used, every other person has the ability to afford and purchase a projector whenever he or she wants.
Advantages of Using a Projector
There are many different advantages in using a projector. Here are some of them:
- You can view anything on a huge screen. Projectors mostly create an image of a size that is at least two or three times more than its original size on the connected device.
- There is little to no loss in the quality of the image that is reflected through the projector.
- Projectors tend to create a better view for 3D images instead of simple LED screens. They are more visible through a projector.
- It is portable and does not require many different things to set up properly. Instead, all you need is an electrical source to connect the projector for power, an input device that contains the content you want to display, and a clean and empty wall.
- From entertainment to learning, every experience is enhanced while using a projector to view content on a huge screen.
Disadvantages of Using a Projector
With all the advantages of using a projector, there are some disadvantages to using these devices as well. Here are some of the prominent ones:
- They can become a hassle while installation. Sometimes, if the installation is a complicated process, the costs for installing the projector becomes very high as well. This can exceed the budget and create a huge financial impact.
- You need a certain amounts of darkness in the region when it comes to a clear viewing of the content on the screen being reflected from a projector. There are some projectors that work during the day as well in quite a lot of light but they are a few and comparatively expensive as well.
- Rarely, a projector is made with built-in audio system. It always requires a separate system of speakers so that you can hear the sounds of the video being displayed through the projector.
Connecting a Chromebook to Projector
Are you confused about how to connect the projector with your Chromebook? Well, it is really not complicated, you will see that after you go through the steps mentioned below.
There are three different methods available for people to connect a Chromebook with a projector. You can do it through a Bluetooth connection, a wired connection such as HDMI cables, or a screen casting/ streaming device. Every person has a different preference when it comes to choosing the method to connect a Chromebook to the projector. There is no hard and fast rule that you have to follow in all circumstances. To have a better understanding of each, all of these methods are discussed in detail below.
Also Read: How to Rotate Screen on a Chromebook?
Using an HDMI Cable to Connect a Chromebook with the Projector
In order for this method to work correctly, it is important that both the Chromebook and projector have a distinct HDMI port. Sometimes, the ports of either one of the device stops working. Ensure that they are both functional as well.
Note: If one of the devices do not have an HDMI port, you can easily place an adapter in place of the USB port. This adapter will act as the surface for the HDMI cable to be connected.
Here is what you need to do to get the ball rolling:
- Connect the HDMI cable in the right port of the Chromebook. Ensure that the cable is not twisted or turned which might increase its chances of getting corrupt in a little while. Alternatively, if you are using an adapter, first connect the adapter to the USB port of either one of the device without the port for HDMI cable. Then connect the adapter with the HDMI cable.
- The other end of the HDMI cable now needs to be connected with the projector. Most projectors have an HDMI port but if yours doesn’t have one, use the same process as mentioned above with an adapter.
- Switch on the Chromebook. From the Display Settings menu, select the option of displaying the screen through the HDMI. If you are using RCA, VGA, or DVI, you can select the display option accordingly on your Chromebook’s display settings.
- Now switch on the Projector. The screen from the Chromebook should appear as an extension of the laptop screen. You have to drag and drop every application from Chromebook to the projector screen.
- The drag and drop can be a hassle, which is why it is better to mirror the screen of the Chromebook instead of extending it. You can do that by selecting the option of Display Settings.
- There are two Display Menus visible; these indicate that there are two different displays on the screen i.e. one on the Chromebook and the other on the projector screen.
- Towards the center of the Menu box, you will see an Arrangement label. Check-in box that says Mirror Built-In Display.
- Now your Chromebook screen is mirrored on the projector screen without any extensions. This means that you do not have to drop and drag every piece of content individually.
- Lo and behold, you have successfully connected your Chromebook device to the projector.
Using the Wireless Option to Connect the Chromebook to a Projector
It is important to have a streaming device available if you want to utilize the option of wireless connection to the projector via a Chromebook. Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, and other similar streaming devices are considered ideal in such a scenario. Here is how you can use the wireless option to connect the Chromebook to a projector:
- Switch the projector open and make sure to connect the streaming device in the input ports of the projector.
- Log-in to the streaming device that you have connected with the projector.
- It is important to ensure that the streaming device is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- Open the Google Chrome and from the menu (the three dots on the upper right side of the screen) select the option of Cast. It will display a Menu, select the Sources option from the drop down menu. Click on the Cast Desktop.
- Once you click on this option, everything on the desktop will become visible on the projector screen. If you do not select this option, then only the Google Chrome application will appear on the projector screen.
The answer of how to connect a Chromebook to a projector is simple. All you have to do is follow a few steps in a certain order and you can accomplish the task without any hindrances. The one thing that needs to be ensured is that all the devices, their ports, and the cables in question are working properly. This is because even if any one of these things does not work properly, then it can ruin the whole experience for you. Projectors are quite useful when it comes to large displays. They are used quite commonly. This is why they are available on extremely reasonable prices throughout the world.
Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions:
Q1. How do you take a screenshot on a Chromebook?
You can pick the type of screenshot you want to take on a Chromebook i.e. full, partial, or only of a section. Press the buttons Shift + Ctrl + Windows together. Select the option of Screenshot. Or in the lower-right menu, click on the time and choose the option of Screen Projector. Both these methods will help you take a screenshot on a Chromebook.
Q2. How do you factory reset a Chromebook?
If you want to completely erase all data from your Chromebook, you can factory reset it. To accomplish that, press the following buttons: Ctrl + Shift + Alt + R. Keep pressing them for some time. A screen will open up. Click on the Restart button, then select Powerwash. Finally click on the Continue button. Your Chromebook will be factory reset now.
Q3. How do you connect a laptop to a projector?
There are several different ways that you can use to connect a laptop to a projector. You can connect it via the HDMI cable, wireless applications, and even Bluetooth. It all comes down to the choice you want to make.