The human body is designed to work and move - the more you strive, the better you get. But sometimes, we neglect the fact that although it is possible to work as long as you want, your body definitely needs some rest and time out. Unless you give your body some rest, it becomes easier to function correctly. Now overworking doesn't just make you tired. There are a lot of other health complications associated with overworking. Marietta is a developing city, and with so many employment opportunities, people are more and more indulged in work. This article will unleash the several complications associated with overworking and discuss a suitable way to rest your body despite a hectic schedule.
Health Complications Due To Overworking
The health problems you can get depend on the type of worker you are. Here are some severe health issues associated with overworking:
You Become Less And Less Productive and More Stressed
If you have increased your working hours, but the results seem to be precisely the same, it means that you are not productive. A standard working week is for 56 hours. Those who seem to sit in and work for more have not shown any real progress. This is a clear indicator that working longer does not mean that you are going to be productive. Non-productivity can lead to many health complications like increased levels of stress, depression, and a negative outlook on your very perfect job.
How to Become More Productive?
If you want some really positive results about your health and work-related productivity, do these few things:
- Focus on one task at a time. When you multitask, it may seem like you are getting a lot done. However, in reality, multitasking is a lot less productive.
- Allocate each task a standard time to each task and give yourself a break after completing each.
- Apply GTD (Getting Things Done) method to become more efficient and productive at the workplace.
You Get Less Sleep and Become Insomniac
The longer you stay up on your desk, the less sleep you are going to get. Sleeping for less than 8 hours a day can lead to fatigue and severe mood swings. People who sleep for less than the recommended time develop serious health complications like heart issues and even diabetes.
How to Sleep Better?
If you want to have a nice goodnight sleep, here are a few things to do:
- Do not work after your assigned shift.
- Stop checking your work emails and notifications after your shift is over.
- Avoid taking office work to home.
- Visit a chiropractor in Marietta to help you relieve pressure from your joints and sleep better.
- Read an excellent book or spend some time doing mind exercises before going to bed.
Depression and Mental Exhaustion Become Common
Working too much can completely damage your mental health. People who worked for over 10 hours a day were depressed and under a lot more pressure than those who only worked for 8 hours a day. Most people take Sundays off, but even then, concern for work is their prime problem. Depression will also cause you to lose interest in your work.
How to Get Rid Of Mental Exhaustion?
Instead of exhausting yourself mentally, try to take a few steps to overcome depression and mental stress caused by too much work:
- Give yourself time to meditate every morning for 30 minutes at least.
- Wake up early and go for a walk. Although having a treadmill can help you get active, nothing beats the old-school charm of going out for a walk.
- Stop working after your allocated shift is over.
- Talk to a therapist or a loved one about your work stress and allow them to help you allocate your time wisely.
You Have the Chance to Develop Heart Complications
Overworking obviously causes your body to go through an enormous amount of stress. This might be a bit hard for you to notice, but being stressed can release a hormone called cortisol for a long time. This hormone is a bit hard on your cardiac health. People who produce excess cortisol levels tend to develop heart diseases and other complications like diabetes and eventually cancer.
How to Prevent Heart Diseases?
Here are a few tips to reduce the chances of developing heart complications by working too much:
- Give yourself enough time to exercise for at least 150 hours a week. Cardiovascular exercises unclog your arteries and reduce cholesterol while reducing the risk of stroke and other health diseases.
- After every 90 minutes of working, walk around (or outside) the office for at least a minute or two.
- Divide your lunch hour and give yourself a low-impact exercise break.
- Get a standing desk, get activities with the staff.
- Eat healthier snacks like nuts instead of chips to stay more active and healthier.
Spine and Neck Complications
Sitting for long hours in front of the desk without much movement can have a serious impact on your neck and spine. If you are obese, the condition gets worse. Repeating the same thing, again and again, will increase your chances of developing spine and neck health complications. Most women suffer from neck pain by sitting for long hours, and men, on the other hand, develop complications in their spine. Once your spinal health starts deteriorating, performing even the simplest of everyday tasks becomes harder as well. Muscles become tense and eventually tear. If you do not get your neck and spine pain treated by pain doctors in Marietta
, it can lead to further health complications and chronic issues.
How to Treat Your Neck and Spine Pain
If you want to get rid of health complications due to neck and spine pain, here are a few things to consider:
- Ask your workplace to invest in ergonomic furniture and more comfortable seating. You may have to invest in your own office furniture. Ensure that the desk is of appropriate height because slouching a lot can affect your eyesight and posture.
- Sit straight while working and relax your posture by walking around for a couple of minutes. Walking around the office or buying an adjustable standing desk will help you maintain spine health.
- Since you are working, consider investing in a high-quality mattress. Your mattress has to be firm with the right amount of support for your spine.
- Stretch every day after waking up to activate your spine and release any tensions from last night.
- Visit your chiropractor in Marietta, who will make adjustments and spinal manipulations to help you stay active. Many people visit a chiropractor only to be active, healthy, energetic, physically and mentally. Just make sure to read reviews and recommendations before booking an appointment.
Sitting for a long time can actually damage your health. It is important to make some serious lifestyle changes if you want to stay active, healthy, and on top of your physical health. A lot of people don't understand this, but your mental health is also affected by overworking. Just work on the allocated hours and give yourself enough time to function and process. Don't forget to have a goodnight's sleep for at least 8 to 10 hours a day.